Saturday, February 25, 2006
Premature Submission-itis
Maybe this is some offshoot of suckitis, I'm not sure. I'm not quite sure why I'm doing this to myself but I am a bit stuck on the WIP - not because I don't know what comes next but rather I seem to have some fixation on selling the danged thing. Mind you, I KNOW as an unpublished writer I really do NEED to finish the blasted thing and then sell it, but I keep getting the urge to try to pitch it anyway.

How weird is that?

At the same time I'm sorta dreading the currently unknown realm of synopsis and query letter. (How come I hear from some folks that I need a 2-3 page synopsis and some folks I need a paragraph or two? That's a rather large disparity, no?) Just what the heck is the synposis supposed to contain? Only the information I've actually revealed in the story or the backstory/world info that underlies the information? I have no clue!

Then I get hung up on what publisher.... In this, at least, I've had a little bit of success by listening to what a few pubbed authors have to say about the ones they have or are working with.

Ah well, I guess I'll start collecting data now so when I finish Raven's White Hart, I can get cracking on the other things required to sell it. And, in case you're wondering, I do NOT expect that having the data will stop me from fussing at that point either.

So - if anyone has advice on the synposis questions, lay it on me! If you have publisher advice and don't want to post in public, feel free to PM me (Private Message/Mail for those acronym challenged folks)...

1 Comments

  1. I kept meaning to post at your blog and somehow always managed to get distracted by the real world. :-(

    At any rate, a very belated greeting. Your blog is really beautiful; I love the design, concepts, everything. :-D

    Don't get so hung up on the synopsis/query letter. Just write your fabulous story.

    If you want more info, though, there is a great summary, Writing the Bare Bones Synopsis, by Beth Andersen at my blog, and SL Viehl's blog, Paperback Writer, is also an excellent source of writing information.

    And you already know Morgan Hawke always has a brilliant way of clarifying the bits and pieces that baffle a lot of writers.

    As doc-t said, try not to stress so much about this or it'll become a gigantic monkey riding you, which will keep you from completing Raven's White Hart. And that would be a pity.

    Much good luck to you! :-D


Post a Comment