Sunday, April 30, 2006
Review: Deep Breath by Alison Kent
Let me preface this review with the comment that though Alison Kent has been conducting a viral marketing blitz as an experiment with this book, I had already pre-ordered a copy. She happens to be on my autobuy list - for very good reason.

===================================

Deep Breath is the latest installment in Alison Kent's SG-5 series.

Georgia McLain is a woman who specializes in finding modern day treasures, especially documents. This time she is looking to find a file that may exonerate her late father in a case of national scandal at the time. But she's caught by another party, Charlie Castro,and given only two days to find that file and turn it over to save her brother's life.

Harry van Zandt is sent to accompany her but he isn't the innocent bystander he purports to be. He's a seasoned SG-5 operative who has his own mission to accomplish - to turn that same file over to his superiors. Since he'd already wanted to use Georgia to find the file, being sent with her as her "helper" suits him just fine. His nickname of Rabbit is a nod to how well he can pull miracles out of his hat.

============================

This is definitely a book of secrets - secrets kept and secrets shared. Pretty much everyone in the book starts out lying - to others and to themselves. The fact that Alison could take this and turn it into a very enjoyable book that I'm sure to reread is a sign of what a terrific writer she is.

This book actually combines two things I generally do NOT like into a book I really liked.

I don't usually like books with more than about two or three points of view. Most of the time I become too easily confused and lose track of whose head I'm in at any particular time. Alison made it work, though, and I never struggled to figure out whose head I was in.

I don't usually like books which display their timeline. I think the root of this dislike is that I have trouble reconciling the actions in the book with the amount of time that has purportedly passed. But again Alison made it work for me. I was so much into the story that the timestamps really coincided with what I felt made sense for that point.

I was a little drawn off by a subplot involving Georgia's little brother but not enough to cause a lot of distress or disgruntlement.

I really liked the fact that it wasn't yet another case of the hero and heroine being absolutely perfect for each other. The little issues that remain make them more human and more real to me.

0 Comments

Post a Comment