Friday, June 30, 2006
Today's Rant: Website AUDIO
What is it with people who don't feel their website or blog is complete without blasting whomever is trying to read it with some (loud) noise? At first it was websites that played an audio track in the background - usually music of some sort. That was bad enough. I'd innocently click on a link and get blasted out of existence with what someone unwisely decided was a Great Theme for their website.

That would immediately mean I'd never visit that website again and a quick use of Alt+F4.

I mean really - what if I'm trying to surf around on the sly? Wouldn't the blaring rendition of "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" sorta give away the fact that I was surfing sites that were not work related.

What if I was trying to quietly amuse myself when I had a child asleep nearby. It's a sure recipe to end the nap!

Now there's a new thing some people have decided is CUTE - This Site Pal crack that appears to be going around.

Now, why would someone want a cartoon talking head on their blog? And when I surf to their blog, I get a LOUD voice declaring "welcome to ....". YIKES.

Please stop the audio spam, folks! Make it voluntary -- "Click here to listen to audio". Have mercy on those of us who HATE noise on websites.

5 Comments

  1. I COMPLETELY AGREE!!! I HATE going to sites and having music or any other sound blasting at me. Give me the option to turn it ON if I wish. But surprising me and not being able to turn it off means I never go back. And never look at it in the first place. Glad I'm not the only one. :-)
    Shannon


  2. Those site pal things are scary. They look like possessed people (and it freaks me out that their eyes follow your mouse around...fkn possessed stupidhead computer things)

    I agree with Shannon. There should be a message giving the option to turn the stupid things off.


  3. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

    I couldn't agree more, especially the nap one. Makes you want to pull your hair out.

    I hope they listen to you, Maura darlin.

    Michelle


  4. LOL! I don't mind on myspace of movie websites, but others it really bothers me as well.


  5. I'm not a big fan of finding random music on sites that I'm not expecting it on either. But on myspace I'm expecting it. Even then it's a pain because I am my habit a multi-window surfer. I can have 3-4 things going on and the music begins to overlap.


Post a Comment