Thursday, July 13, 2006
Dvorak: I must be a masochist
So - after several bouts recently of numbness in my hands, I've decided to bite the bullet and switch from QWERTY to Dvorak.

For those who don't know, Dvorak is an alternate keyboard layout that is designed to be much less stressful to use when typing, to be more efficient and reduces RSI issues.

I was chatting to my development lead at the day job today and we were talking keyboard layouts when I guess I suddenly made the decision.

I'll have to see if C will join me in this challenge - if so, that will make sharing the keyboard of the laptop a lot easier. I think I'll just invest in some of the keyboard stickers instead of dedicated dvorak keyboards since I really like my ergo keyboard's feel.

My guess is that i won't get the stickers until after RWA Nationals - so probably not actually switching until then but I'm sure my typing speed will go deeply down the toilet for a while. But the key (from everything I've read, is that you don't keep switching back and forth, so I need to hang on with my fingernails.

wish me luck!

2 Comments

  1. Good luck! And have fun at Nationals!


  2. I'm not familiar with this kind of keyboard. Can you give more of a description? With all my hand problems over the last couple of years, I'm always interested in anything to relieve my RSI.


Post a Comment