Thursday, June 21, 2007
When Hints Go Astray
A few days ago I was in the kitchen looking for a piece of mail I thought I'd left in there and I (for once) looked up to see that an ad for a 16 year old Scotch was stuck on the range hood with magnets.

Now, I knew it wan probably from C because 1) he's the Scotch drinker and 2) it was just after Father's Day. But I was a bit concerned about how long it might have been there. Was this a long ignored birthday hint? An only slightly late Father's Day hint? A hint for the future?

But on the range hood? I rarely cook and, as I have previously posted about, am often quite oblivious.

C called me for another reason and I asked him if this was a hint. His words "Not a very good one."

But he did admit that it had only been up there for a few days so it wasn't as terminally stale as it could have been. Since I was picking M up that evening, I guiltily took the (too subtle) hint and bought him that Scotch and another besides. It was even on sale!

But, really, who in their right mind would leave me a hint like that??? Now if he'd stuffed it into my laptop, taped it across my monitor, even taped it to my steering wheel - that had a hope of being noticed. This was far too subtle for someone who forgets where she put food only a few minutes previously.....

2 Comments

  1. LOL

    And he's been married to you for how long? He should know how to make better hints (for example saying, Hey Maura I'd really like this for a gift please please please)


  2. LOL -- I have tried "subtle" hints in the past, now I just tell him what I want or have him bring me to pick out my gift. Thus, both of us are happy. :-)


Post a Comment